Note on Homestay
Thank you very much for taking our children into your home. This is a priceless learning experience for them, and hopefully a rewarding one for you and your family as well. There are absolutely no expectations for what you decide to do while our children are in your home. The entire objective is for them to meet and make friends with an American family, live the way you live, eat the food you eat, and do the things you do. You need not to plan anything special. Almost anything that you would ordinarily do with your family would be a wonderful cultural experience for the children. Basements, American bathtubs, your neighborhood, gatherings with family, friends or church are just some of the things that will interest the children that you may not even consider. Just sitting around the dinner table talking about what happened that day is unique for them as they do not do this with their own family.
Here are some suggestions for activities that Hosts and Students can enjoy together.
- Picnics & BBQ’s
- Playing outdoor sports such as tennis, baseball or Frisbee
- Shopping: grocery store/Wal-Mart/Target & regular malls
- Camping, Swimming, Bowling, Blueberry picking
- Take a ferry ride
- Day hikes around Seattle (Space Needle, Pike’s Place, etc.)
- Water fights & other backyard games
- Make something together (cookies, banana splits, a meal)
- Tour a fire/police department
- Fairs & Festivals
- Your Everyday Life!